I know it’s technically not autumn yet, but my breakfast game has been in a rut lately and I needed to jump the gun on something fresh, nutritious, delicious, easy, BOMB.COM.
Introducing: AUTUMN GLOW MILKSHAKES.
Okay, let’s clarify.
- Not technically a milkshake. Almondmilk, almond butter, frozen sweet potato 😱, frozen cauliflower 😱😱, a pinch of salt some honey and protein powder if you want? The dream team is making milkshake magic happen, right in your very own blender.
- Not technically autumn yet. As previously stated. So I guess you could just bookmark for a week or two, or embrace the autumn vibes a little early this year, or say to yourself: self, you do not need to wait until autumn to eat sweet potatoes in a smoothie/milkshake/thingy.
- Technically very delicious. I know I’m totally scaring you off with the sweet-potato-cauliflower-and-this-is-going-to-be-like-ice-cream thing, but really – the texture is beautifully smooth (like a milkshake) and the taste is just the right amount of sweet. Apparently this is a thing? People putting frozen cauliflower in their smoothies? I think the idea is to get more nutrition (VEG) and less sugar than the otherwise standard banana. I don’t know, I was pretty skeptical, but Autumn Glow Milkshakes have me sold on this weirdo smoothie move.
Watch How To Make Our Autumn Glow Milkshake (40 SEC):
In the blender we’ve got sweet potato, cauliflower, almond butter, vanilla almondmilk (Almond Breeze because it’s our fave, and have you seen the Hint of Honey kind around anywhere? I am dying to try it), honey, vanilla protein powder, and flaked sea salt. I’m all about that flaked sea salt in my smoothies.
Here’s what your eyes will behold when the blender has worked its magic:
The orange color might be a teeny bit Halloween-y, but hang with me. It’s a pretty mellow orange, like a nice adult-ish caramel-colored situation rather than pumpkin orange, and the adult-ish orange totally embodies the Autumn Glow, right?
We can thank the almond butter (hello, friendly fats!) and the sweet potato (nutritious starches!) and some super creamy almondmilk (hello, Almond Breeze!) for a silky-smooth texture that will remind you of a malt shop. It’s next level.
Raise your hand if you love toppings? If your whole food life is mostly about what you can drizzle, sprinkle, or crumble on top?
This is your chance. Your BLANK CANVAS. My personal faves are some banana slices, maybe the occasional handful of blueberries (especially if I happen to be making this smoothie at the end of the summer, which, at the moment, I am), and always always always a sprinkling of granola. Best case scenario would be that coconut oil granola that I love as much as life itself, but in a pinch, even a good store-bought granola will be a pretty happy combo with this fake-out breakfasty ice cream.
Autumn Glow Milkshakes don’t have to be eaten for breakfast, but they do have this magnetic-like pull on my morning routine. Just know that no one will be mad if you need to eat a milkshake for breakfast, okay? This is a safe zone for that type of behavior.
A glow-worthy “milkshake” that is loaded with nutrients and tastes like ice cream. Awesome for breakfasts on the go.
- Blend everything up in a high-powered blender until smooth. Add more almondmilk as needed to keep it moving smoothly.
- Serve topped with granola, banana slices, fruit, a drizzle of almond butter, or whatever your heart desires.
For the sweet potatoes, I recommend peeling, cutting into cubes, steaming, and then freezing ahead of time. You want them to be frozen when you blend in order to get the right texture.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy milkshake, healthy smoothie, sweet potato smoothie, sweet potato recipe
Thank you to Almond Breeze for sponsoring this post!
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our collection of best healthy sweet potato recipes. Check it out!