Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits! Sautéed shallots and thyme, a splash of white wine, creamy chicken, peas, and carrots all baked under a homemade biscuit topping.
This feels like a good time to say something profound, which leads me to this:
Chicken pot pie with biscuits is just so good.
Sautéed shallots and thyme, a splash of white wine, creamy chicken, peas, and carrots all baked under a homemade biscuit topping. It’s rich with lots of layers of flavor, but it’s humble and old-fashioned in all the right ways. It just goes straight to the heart.
It is the very essence of comfort food. And if you cross me on this, I’ll bring you a chicken pot pie with biscuits to change your mind.
In This Post: Everything You Need For Chicken Pot Pie
Why Biscuits For Chicken Pot Pie Crust
I have strong-ish feelings that biscuits are better than actual pie crust when it comes to chicken pot pie.
Reasons I like biscuits better:
- They are easier and faster to make from scratch.
- They are more forgiving.
- They are arguably MORE delicious.
- They avoid the whole soggy bottom part of a traditional pot pie.
- THEY ARE BUTTERY LITTLE BISCUITS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Ingredients For This Easy Chicken Pot Pie
While this is an easier version of the beloved chicken pot pie, there’s still a little bit of time and love that goes into it.
- Biscuits: Flour, butter, salt, milk, the usual suspects.
- Filling and Sauce: chicken, vegetables, aromatics, milk, broth, white wine, and MORE BUTTER to make that delicious sauce.
Got it? Let’s go.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
When starting on your pot pie adventure, there are three important Biscuit Things to consider.
- Use good butter.
- Grate your butter.
- Don’t overmix everything. Just gently bring it together, fold it out once or twice, and then cut straight down with your biscuit cutter – AS IF! More like the rim of a drinking glass. If you own a biscuit cutter you are light years ahead of me.
Gravy with vegetables and chicken in the pan, biscuits on top, a quick trip to bake in the oven in a baking dish and….
Love of your life – creamy, buttery, golden brown and savory – speaking to you right here.
I can think of zero situations that are not improved drastically by a chicken pot pie with biscuits.
What To Serve with Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe has everything you need – veggies for flavor, protein from the chicken, and BISCUITS. Which is the most important part. But if you want to fill this out for a full meal, here are some more ideas.
Pull this all together, and you’ve got an A+ cozy dinner party.
Chicken Pot Pie: FAQs
Absolutely! Canned biscuits definitely work here. Although, if you have the time, homemade biscuits are really something special!
Sure can! Shredded turkey would work great as a sub here.
Yes! Just omit the chicken, use veggie broth, and add in a bit more veggies (or even potatoes) to make it vegetarian-friendly.
You can reheat it in the microwave or in the oven, it just depends on your preference and time you have to spare! If you want to keep the biscuits as crispy as possible, the oven will be your best bet. Heat it to 425 and pop it in uncovered for about 10 minutes until reheated through. If the biscuits start to brown, cover it with foil.
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits! Sautéed shallots and thyme, a splash of white wine, creamy chicken, peas, and carrots all baked under a homemade biscuit topping. YUM.
- Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together. Grate butter and work it into the dry mix with your hands. Add milk and stir gently with a fork to bring it all together. Turn dough out onto a clean counter. Fold it over a few times to get it into a 1-2 inch thick layer. Cut 6-10 biscuits from it using a biscuit cutter, rim of a drinking glass, or… just a knife. Let’s not be too precious here.
- Filling: Melt the butter in a large oven-safe Dutch oven or pan. Add the thyme and shallots; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the flour; sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add a splash of wine; let it sizzle out. Slowly and gradually, add the milk and the chicken broth, stirring after each addition. The mixture should resemble a thick, creamy soup. Add chicken and peas. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bake: Arrange biscuits on top of filling. Brush biscuits with milk or butter for extra browning. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot, bubbly, and biscuits are cooked through.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie, biscuit chicken pot pie, comfort food recipe, chicken pot pie with biscuits
More Cozy Comfort Food Recipes
Time To Show You Off!
Tag @pinchofyum on Instagram for a chance to be featured
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our coziest comfort food recipes page. Check it out!