Isn’t January just so many things?
And isn’t Roasted Garlic White Bean Lasagna Soup absolutely one of them?
It’s the most fun and inspiring time of year in some ways, right? – NEW YEAR! NEW THINGS! NEW YOU! – and then right around week two of January, the low-energy winter blues show up and all we want to do is eat carbs and chocolate (maybe even together, if it’s been an especially meh day) and settle in for a Netflix binge and just never ever ever take off our fuzzy pajamas. I don’t know, I’m weak. This is my January.
So here comes Roasted Garlic White Bean Lasagna Soup, and it is embracing the best of both January worlds.
It’s saying – HEY, we want to cook at home more often, we want to eat more real food, and we are strategically trying to get more vegetables / fiber / good things into our winter bodies. But it’s also acknowledging that, HEY, you know what? it is freezing cold outside, and the fuzzy pajamas aren’t going anywhere, and food right now needs to be synonymous with comfort.
If you’re a returning blog reader, you might have noticed that today is a big day for us.
I’d like to officially welcome you right into our new little home for Pinch of Yum – THE BRAND NEW WEBSITE! Holy meatballs, this baby is REALLY a new website.
Do you want a hot chocolate? Should we put on some slippers? Who’s needs a brownie?
I hope you’re so super comfy and happy here, because this is our new space, you and me together, for all things Pinch of Yum.
As is to be expected anytime you’re doing major surgery on a website with, like, five billion and a half images and posts, the transfer process has been a hot mess. It’s been delayed and buggy and not necessarily super cooperative, and as a result I’ve been teetering off the edge of the Stress Ledge for the last three days. But thankfully we have a very savvy team who knows what they’re doing, and I have people in my life (Sage, mostly, TBH) who know how to bring me down from the Stress Ledge. And ultimately, getting off schedule for a few days is, in my mind, a very small and worthwhile price to pay for having a new beautiful home for Pinch of Yum.
If you notice any weirdo-things with the site, would you be so kind as to shoot us an email with a screen shot? We have a running list of fixes that need to happen over the next few weeks and we will happily add yours to the queue.
When it’s all said and done, it’s great to have a new website, and it’s great to wear fuzzy pajamas, but WE STILL NEED TO MAKE DINNER.
And guess what? I have just the thing and it’s called Roasted Garlic White Bean Lasagna Soup.
January food at its best.
Note: this recipe is my vegetarian take on the Farm Girl’s Dabbles very famous Lasagna Soup! Both her meat-included version and my meatless version are delicious.
This Roasted Garlic and White Bean Lasagna Soup is nutritious and comforting and topped with a ricotta Parmesan mixture – perfect for cold winter nights!
For the Lasagna Soup:
For the Ricotta Dollops:
- Roast the Garlic: Drizzle the garlic with a tiny bit of olive oil and wrap with foil. Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Make the Soup: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, chicken broth, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add white beans. Take a few scoops (about one third) of the soup mixture at this point and puree in the blender with the roasted garlic.
- Add Pasta: Add uncooked pasta and simmer on low until pasta is just softened. Taste and adjust (more salt, more red pepper flakes, more basil, etc.)
- Ricotta: In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Serve: Place a dollop of the ricotta mixture in each soup bowl and ladle the soup over the top. Top with extra Parm and fresh basil. YUM!
Nutrition includes the ricotta mixture!
Obviously if you are a vegetarian you would want to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Keywords: lasagna soup, white bean lasagna soup, garlic lasagna soup