It rained and I made white chicken chili. It went a little something like this:
Ok, let’s you and me have a chat about this chili. Can we agree that white food is super comforting?
Did you love those rain shots? Bjork did all of those as I was slurping up his bowl of soup.
Yep. Rainy days are fun.
Think about it. White sauce. White cheese. White sugar. White potatoes. White bread. White ice cream. White chocolate? White sauce and white cheese and white chicken on white crust named gooey, cheesy white pizza.
Oh, comforting white foods. You are so mean in your delicious, non-skinny ways.
But hold the phone.
White food lovers, what if there was such a thing as a white comfort food that was healthier? Would you be really happy and eat double servings just to make up for its healthiness? I would, too.
I started out already loving this white chicken chili because it’s really good. Like, fight-over-the-last-bowl good. It’s creamy (cornmeal and milk make an all-star team), a tiny bit spicy (hey jalapeno), and super filling (chicken and white beans, yo).
As if that’s not enough, I have a little extra-loving going on for this white chicken chili because it’s got less than 200 calories per bowl and that leaves room for some double-fisted chip action. Chips are white, too, come to think of it. Unless you’re having Baked Doritos which happen to be my embarrassingly favorite chip ever.
Doesn’t matter. White chips or bright orange chips or no chips (weirdo), you are going to L-O-V-E this soup.
This white chicken chili has chicken, white beans, and a flavorful creamy cornmeal base. So easy to make and delicious served with tortilla chips!
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 30 minutes or until cooked through and no pink remains. Drain water; allow chicken to cool. When cool, shred with two forks and set aside.
- Combine the cornmeal and milk in a small bowl and allow mixture to rest as you prepare the soup (the cornmeal will soak up the milk which helps it soften).
- Finely dice the bell peppers, onion, and jalapeno. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken, broth, and spices to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal and milk mixture. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
Each serving is one heaping cup of chili.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chicken chili, chicken chili recipe, chili recipe
Random other things:
To vote for Pinch of Yum’s Chicken Tamale Pie, click here (and thanks)!
To know why the heck you should vote, click here!
And to make your belly happy, eat this soup!